[EMBOSS] how string is shuffleseq

Derek Gatherer d.gatherer at mrcvu.gla.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 08:25:58 EDT 2008

Dear EMBOSS experts

How good a shuffler is shuffleseq?  I have always believed that it
shuffles beyond all recognition, since tracer words inserted into a
database are always gone after 1 round of shuffling.  But are there
any hard test data on its shuffling strength?  For instance, for any,
say, 100-mer, what fragments would reasonably be expected to remain
after shuffling?  Should I be surprised to see a 15-mer from the
100-mer still intact??

Sorry I can't express this more precisely.  I thinks it's probably
clear...  I ask as there is a piece of software I am testing on real
genomes and their shuffled derivatives, and I want to exclude the
possibility that the control is compromised by an inadequacy of shuffling.

Cheers
Derek